Mint Mobile is a prepaid carrier operating on T-Mobile’s network that sells its plans in multi-month bundles so you can save money. You can buy three, six, or 12 months at a time. Plans come in 4GB, 10GB, 15GB, or even unlimited and include 5G. Should you decide to try out Mint Mobile, porting your number from another carrier is a fairly simple and painless process.
Products used in this guide
- Unlimited calls, texts, and 4GB: Mint Mobile ($45 for three months at Mint Mobile)
- Unlocked with LTE and 5G: Samsung Galaxy S20 5G ($790 at Amazon)
Bring your number to Mint
Before starting the porting process, it’s important to note that your phone number must remain active on your previous carrier throughout the process. If you cancel your old service before moving to Mint, you likely won’t be able to recover your phone number — at least, not without going through a much more tedious process.
Once you’ve decided on a plan and received your Mint Mobile SIM card, starting the porting process is easy.
You will need a Mint Mobile-compatible phone, such as the Galaxy S20 5G, and a Mint Mobile SIM card.
- Gather information from your current carrier, including your account number, PIN or password, and the ZIP code or billing address associated with the account. You’ll find your account number at the top of most paperwork, including phone bills and receipts. Still, if you’re unsure about any information, you should call your existing carrier’s customer service line.
- Visit mintmobile.com and click Activate near the top of the page.
- You can also activate through the Mint Mobile app.
- Enter your activation code. This is an 11 digit ACT code that you’ll find on the back of your SIM card, above the “active by” date.
- Click Start or Resume your Activation.
- During activation, select Port My Number when prompted.
Enter the account number, PIN or password, and ZIP code or billing address associated with your previous carrier.
That’s it! Once you’re done, you can create a Mint Mobile account to keep track of your plan, but the porting process should be out of your hands, and your number will change over automatically. Depending on various factors like your previous carrier, the transfer could be instant or take up to 48 hours — just be patient. Transfers from a landline service could take longer.
Once the number transfer is complete, you’ll receive a welcome text from Mint confirming your Mint Mobile port number, and in most cases, your existing service will cancel automatically. From here, all that’s left is to enjoy your new service!
Our top equipment picks
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.