Now, you have a PC running MacOSX and you have got a new hard drive for yourself and You want to ensure full Mac compatibility of a new external hard drive, for that you have to format your hard drive or USB Flash drive to the Mac OS Extended file system before installing it to your PC.
The properties of Connecting Hard drive or Flash drive is a very easy job as the MacOSX has inbuilt predefined file system formats, including Windows MS-DOS, FAT, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS formats.
But for instance, you have a windows PC which is having a Hard disk connected to it and you have to connect that hard disk to your MacOSX running PC, in that case, you have to format the Harddrive before installing it on MacOSX just to make it compatible with the MacOSX file formats.
The step formatting is very much essential for Mac compatible filesystem, and necessary when we are making a bootable disk.
If you are not Aware of How You Can Format Your Hard drive before connecting it to MacOSX: Follow the Article step by step:
Format An External Hard Drive/ USB Flash Drive for Mac OS X:
The Process is very much simple only you need to know that all your data will be erased and will Partition the disk.
- Connect the hard drive or USB key to the Mac
- Launch Disk Utility, located in Applications > Utilities
- Locate the drive name from the left-hand side of Disk Utility and click on it
- Click on the “Erase” tab across the top
- Next to “Format:” click the contextual menu and select “Mac OS Extended
- Name the drive if you want, the name can be changed at any point
- Click the “Erase” button and confirm again on the next pop-up window
That’s it! now you just have to wait for the formatting process to complete and you are good to go. The formatting time will depend on the Size of your hard drive and also its transfer speed, usually smaller USB drive or Hard drive takes a small amount of time as compared to Larger size Hard drive. So you just have to be patient.
Source/Image Credit: Osxdaily
You may also like:
- How to Download & Install macOS 10.12.6 Best Way
- How To Install macOS Sierra Hackintosh On PC [Guide]